Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rochester, NY Police officer Violates Code of Ethics, and his Sworn Oath to Serve and Protect

By Davy V.
This Rochester, NY Police officer
allowed his personal feelings to get in the way of him doing his job.
Photo by Davy V.

There is a section of the Rochester, NY Police department's Code of Ethics which reads: "I WILL never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities or friendships to influence my decisions."

On Monday, April 29th, I promised my two sons, ages 9 and 11, and my niece, 12, to take them to the first day of filming for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, on the first day of filming in downtown Rochester.

We woke up at 4 a.m., showered, and grabbed breakfast, making it to downtown by 5:30 am, in anticipation of big crowds, a Spider-Man would surely attract.

As we walked down West Main Street, after parking at the Sister Cities garage, near City Hall, I wanted to make sure we got a good spot from which to watch from, away from traffic, and the stunt scenes which would be filmed, as my main concern was my children's safety.

About halfway down the block, we found a spot we liked, and stopped.

At that point, a man told me to ask and make sure it was ok to stand there.

Seeing no one else around, except a Rochester, NY Police officer who was about 100 feet away, I decided to ask the officer where it was ok to watch from.

"Good morning", I said as I approached the officer who was standing near his W-46 cruiser.

The officer took one look at me, and asked me "What's your name?", as he looked at my press pass for Minority Reporter Media Group, the publisher for two local publications I write for, and then said "I'm not talking to you!", and walked away.
Photo by Davy V.

It was here where, I turned on my iPad, which I had been holding, and proceeded to ask the officer, whom I have never met, or seen before in my life, for his name, which as you can see in the video below, he refused to give me.

Clearly, this Rochester, NY Police officer doesn't like me.

He doesn't have to like me.

However, to allow his personal feelings, prejudices, or animosities that he has towards me as a result of my work exposing police misconduct, and corruption on the part of the Rochester, NY Police department, is not only a clear violation of the RPD's Code of Ethics, but a violation of his sworn oath to serve and protect.

This Rochester, NY Police officer's outright refusal to help me find a safe location for my children and myself to stand, is more than deplorable, frankly it's disgusting.

For this officer to potentially put young children's safety at risk by refusing to assist us, all because of an obvious animosity he has towards me, is something that the Rochester, NY Police department, especially Chief James Sheppard, should NOT condone.

After all, on the Rochester, NY Police department's new website, it states: "Embracing a philosophy of Policing in the Spirit of Service represents the Rochester Police Department’s commitment to consistently provide excellent police services to all of the Rochester community. This commitment requires every employee to strive for excellence, while demonstrating courtesy, professionalism and ethics. It is important to acknowledge that every interaction with the community has an impact not only on each individual employee’s reputation, but on the reputation of the entire Rochester Police Department as well."

Yep Chief Sheppard,

By your officer allowing his personal feelings to get in the way of him doing his job, it certainly does have an impact on your entire department.

Chief Sheppard, officers like this are the reason the community does not trust, or respect your department.

To make matters worse, watch as I try to talk to another RPD officer, who, as soon as I tell him my name, also refuses to talk to me, and immediately turns around.

Click Play to watch video



Click Play to watch Part 2




Click Play to watch Part 3


Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/davyvara



If you believe in my work as an activist, writer and blogger exposing police misconduct, corruption, and other injustices which mainstream, Corporate-America run news media ignores, please support by making a donation.

To make a donation, simply click on the 'Donate' button at the top right of the blog, and follow the steps.

All transactions are secure through PayPal.

Another way you can support is by getting a "COPS LIE. RECORD EVERYTHING." t-shirt.

T-shirts are black with white print on both sides.
Front of t-shirt.


"Rights are not asked for. Rights are not given. Rights are fought for each day." is printed on the back.

T-shirts are $ 25.00 each, or if you get two, you will receive a third one FREE.

Shipping and handling is included in price.
Back of t-shirt.


If you'd like to support by getting t-shirts, please do so by clicking on the 'Donate' button at the top right, and following the same steps.

T-shirts are available in M - 3X.

Please specify sizes.