Sunday, August 30, 2026

City of Rochester, NY... IMMEDIATELY Remove Racist Slur Left on Rochester, NY Abandoned Asylum



By Davy V. 


For years, both through photography and video, I have documented Rochester, New York's abandoned asylum, a haunting and mysterious 16-story psychiatric hospital, formerly known as the Terrence Building.


The deteriorating building, which is set to be demolished after New York State approved $20 million towards the estimated $30 million cost of bringing it down, has become a part of my daily bike rides, which as many of you know are a major outlet when it comes to my mental health.


So this morning started out like most, I got on my bike and as I was approaching the abandoned asylum, the word "NIGGERS" painted on the side of the building, clearly visible from Elmwood Avenue, one of Rochester, New York's most heavily traveled roads.


As a Latino, and father of African-American and Latino children, I find this disgusting.


Please share this piece and help me in my demand that the City of Rochester, New York immediately remove this racist slur from the building as well as find out who is responsible for this.


I will be updating this story...